May 4, 2007
Day 22: Khojand
This morning, we got on a plane to hop over the mountains to take us to a city in the next valley to the north. Khojand is in central city in the part of Tajikistan that sticks awkwardly into Uzbekistan. We were able to meet some of the folks here and get to know the city a little bit. The city is situated next to a river and near a small mountain range. We found that in the bazaar, we were able to talk to nearly everyone in Uzbek - even the Tajiks generally could speak Uzbek with us. Here we are in the main square...
This town has one of the coolest bazaars I have seen - the main part is indoors in this huge building...
Although they may be set up differently, all Central Asian bazaars are essentially the same - here are some locals peddling their dried fruits and nuts...
Later on the square cleared as a thunderstorm loomed...
We had a good time chatting with some folks here about the possibilities. We will keep you posted as we learn more about this place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow! Such neat looking places! I wish I could be there with you! (Maybe sometime soon I'll have a chance to visit that part of the world!) Have a great weekend! Love ya! :)
~Laurie
Hey Aaron,
Congratulations on receiving the Missions Award at Grace!
Tibbs
Post a Comment