I wanted to share this little video with you of a man who walks through our neighborhood a couple of times each week.
He is selling something called Garmak, which is basically boiled chickpeas that are half mashed. The very interesting thing about this man, who faithfully pedals his garmak through the neighborhood, is that many a morn I have been awaken to him bellerin' this out at 3 AM, yes thats right, 3 AM! After the very first time I heard this hollering, I asked our landlord's family what in world was going on at 3 am. They laughed as they explained that he was just selling food. I asked the young daughter in law in our household if she scrambled out of bed, down to the kitchen to get a plate and out onto the street at 3 am, she just laughed. Not sure who is running for garmak at that time of the day, but someone is.
And on a side note, this is a very special day for a woman who is known by something that rhymes with garmak. That would be Mamak, which is what Ella began calling my Mom (Earlene) soon after she learned to talk. We tried to get her to say Grandma, but all that came out was "Mamak". Today is my Mom and Ellie's Mamak's birthday. Happy Birthday Mamak! We love you!
3 comments:
Thanks guys! Ellie's song was sooo sweet ...brought tears to the eyes and joy to the heart. She is growing up soooo fast.
I love Ella's commentary - he has "non" -- is that what she is
saying? What interesting stores she can tell us - hope she doesn't forget them.
And this whole time I thought it was Mama K -- and in Mama Klein. :)
Happy birthday (a little late), Mamak!
Post a Comment