Sep 23, 2009

bargi tok

One of my very favorite dishes here in Tajikistan is Bargi Tok, or stuffed grape leaves. They are delicious! I decided I need to be learning to make some of my favorite Tajik dishes now, while we are still living here in this house. Today I asked one of the young girls in our courtyard to teach me to make them.

Here is my teacher, Mavjuda...

Ella was down in the kitchen with us and begged to participate in the process. So, up on the counter she hopped (yes, in her undies...sorry!) and did a great job rolling up the leaves and enjoyed it so much, too!

The leaves are filled with ground beef, potatoes, onion, tomato, and salt...

They are then placed in a steamer for one hour...

Here is Ella eager for the final product...

And here she is pointing out which ones she made. Notice they are little squares, rather than rolls...

3 comments:

Bristol Grandma said...

Looks pretty yummy.

Mamak said...

Looks like Ellie's going to be a great cook like her mommy!

Laura Cartwright said...

I commonly eat stuffed grape leaves with tahini and olives in the middle!