Jul 21, 2011

birthday bash

[by jen]

Here in Tajikistan when your birthday rolls around, it is expected that you throw a big party and invite all your friends. I have always refused to do this, as my birthday is the one day of the year where I didn't want to do a ton of work, and let me tell you, it is a LOT of work! But after 6 years in Central Asia, I finally decided to break down and invite my friends to my 31st Birthday Bash.

The spread, ready for the guests to arrive...

My sweet friend who helped me cook Osh, the national dish. OK, the idea was that we would both cook it, but I was too busy, so she did it herself and it was wonderful!

Receiving my Birthday congratulations. They sung to me in Tajik and in English!



And of course, no party is complete without some dancing. If you notice in the corner, on the floor behind the lady in orange there is a baby sleeping. (She was actually standing there to protect him from getting stepped on!) He slept through all the laughing and loud music!

2 comments:

Bristol Grandma said...

Wow Jen, that is a lot of work! The table looks beautiful. I bet it was a good time.

Mamak said...

I know it was a lot of work but I can see you did a great job! You've always been a great hostess.