Apr 20, 2007

Day 8: Contact with Uz

We finally got a phone connection into Uzbekistan today. I (Jen) headed out to the local internet café, where there are phones to call out of country, and I called my best Uzbek friend, Feruza. I have not been able to even speak with her since we left last August. I had tried several times from home in America, but never had any luck. She was really excited to hear my voice, but was also very sad when I told her that we would not be coming to Khiva. I had written her an email before we left, telling her the date we should arrive in Khiva. She told me that everyday she would wait and wonder if we were coming that day. She also told me that every night she was having dreams about us sitting and talking together. As you can imagine, it was so hard to tell her that we are not able to come. I wished that I could sit there in her guest room with her, over some good old Uzbek plov, and talk for hours, but we have to rely on this phone for now.

Aaron also got to speak with one of his closest friends. He, too, was very disappointed to hear that we weren’t allowed to enter. He told Aaron of his news, that his wife is expecting another baby next month. This is #3 for them.

This afternoon we also went to a nice little park with trees, grass, and a little river running through it. We enjoyed ourselves and Ella was just zonked by the time we walked home. (See photos).

We are so thankful that we are now getting lots of much needed rest and enjoying our time here in Osh, fellowshipping with friends, learning about the work, and relaxing together as well. Thanks to everyone who is lifting us up in prayer and for all the comments…we just love to hear from you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is such a comfort to get these reports. You look good in these pictures and Ella looks like she has grown in a short week. We miss you and pray for God's protection. It is heartbreaking to hear of your UZ friends disappointment that you won't be able to see them. Love, Dad & Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your disapointment. Some things are hard to understand. The oak tree gets stronger in the storm and the roots grow deeper thru the drought. The hotter the desert sands may the more intense be the search for the cool oasis of His strength,power,goodness,grace,hope and presence. Thanks for your updates. Love you so much, Mom K

Anonymous said...

Hi dostlaramiz,

Glad things are going well in Osh. It's hard to not envy you being in the bazaars, etc. We're praying for clear guidance.

Eldon & Jan