Jan 22, 2011

india, part 5: taj mahal

OK, finally moving away from the beach, we flew back to Delhi where we stayed with friends. From there is was a short day trip to one of the "seven wonders of the world".

I remember when I was a kid I had a summer job cutting grass at a cemetery. I used to think that when I go, I'd either want to be cremated, or have one of those little grave markers that you can mow right over. Well, Emperor Shah Jahan had a very different idea when his wife died and created the most ostentatious cemetery in the world: the Taj Mahal.

Here are our pics...













Look for it...
There are a couple of other building on the complex as well...


We headed to a fort on the other side of town, where the guy who built the Taj was later imprisoned by his own son and lived his last days (nice kid, eh?). We had more views of the Taj from there...

2 comments:

Jen said...

beautiful pictures. I love "giant Silas". It looks like you had a wonderful trip. so jealous!

Unknown said...

What a fun time y'all had.
Thanks for taking us with you to such cool places.
Love you guys!