May 26, 2010

Fiery Gizzard hike

I had the opportunity to go down to visit big brother Brent last weekend and go on a little walk in the woods. The Fiery Gizzard valley is so named, according to Brent, after Daniel Boone's misfortune of burning his tongue on the giblets of a chicken during a visit here.

At the entrance to the trail with brother Brent and Ildi...

There were a lot of waterfalls...

We came across one about every hour it seemed...

Mother would not have approved...

Some on private property. How would you like to have this in your backyard?...

Then we came up on the ridge and saw some good views...

Resting near our campsite on the first night at "Raven's Point"...

Got up early and went back the next morning while the others were snoozing (and snoring)...

Tina thought this was broccoli...

Ildi examining an old white lighting still...

She found this in the campsite privy. Camera held up for comparison. Can anyone identify this guy? Yikes...

Ildi perched on a "chimney"...

At the end of our hike we were greeted with the best part. Foster Falls...


From another angle...

I had been pining for a swimming opportunity and thoroughly enjoyed my splash under the waterfall. Can you find me?...

Thanks Brent for showing the way.

2 comments:

Indiana Family of Four said...

Where was this trail? It doesn't really look like Indiana! :)

aje said...

Oh I guess I didnt mention that... It is in Tennessee near Chattanooga.