The making of the sumalak seems to overshadow the substance itself, as neighbors (usually women) gather together to stir the pot for the required 24 hours. They keep the fire going, keep the pot stirred, go through ritual, throw in stones, and generally just party until the task is complete.
Our neighbors hosted one last Wednesday night.
Here are the experts at work...
They also gave us a turn...
Although making sumalak is a traditional ritual going back who-knows-how-long, it seems that there have been modern adaptations. While presumably dancing has always been a part of the event, now it seems that the dancers are getting younger, and the music at times becomes western.
Anyway, we were drug out on to the dance floor, and we have the results on video. Jen is doing her best Central Asian dancing, and I am just trying to copy the motions of the guy who brought me out there. Ella also shows off the dancing skills that she's been learning from her babysitter.
As you will see in the video, we are all very awesome dancers. But we need help settling the dispute as to who is the best. Who do you think is the best dancer in the family? Vote in the comments...
16 comments:
Envelope please...........and the winner is........Ella C. Edwards hands down. Ya didn't think I would vote for anyone else did ya?
awesome! it's a hard choice, but I'd have to say, Miss Ella, as well. Although Jen was lookin pretty good. but, Arron, what can we say...there are no words.
I also think Ella is the winner with Jen coming in as a close second. But the prize for the Funniest Dance definitely goes to Aaron! We'll have to take you to a Hungarian wedding; it will be a riot! We couldn't get your dad to dance at our wedding, but I don't think you would have any problems! :)
Love from the European Edwards
woOOWw! well...aaron, your limp hand fling techniques and the ankle slap was pretty entertaining. jen, you're just a natural and you make people want to join in cuz you make it look easy, but...ella...man, she's got that hip action down pat!!! (and, if i remember right, i believe i began teaching that girl how to dance before she could take her first steps!) haha ;)
I think it was pretty much a tie with Ella and Jen -- but Aaron -- well it kind of looked like he was trying to figure out how to fly like a bird getting off a nest!
Aaron, get Ella to teach you some moves.
Ed votes for the lady in the blue dress dancing with Jen.
I think Ella is just cute beyond words - I love how she puts her hand on her little hip. So cute!!
Aaron, not sure if you know it or not, but our new president is working on restoring America's image to the world. You're not helping.
Ellie you were great! Not bad either Jen... I know it's much harder than it looks. But Aaron I'm still not sure what you were doing but if it's any consolation, the guy with you wasn't doing much better. Just wondering how long it's going to take to eat all that "porridge"?
I vote for the guy who was dancing with Aaron. Ha! :)
Ella definitely wins my vote!! Jen, you definitely look like a natural and Aaron...wow...I guess I can't say too much about Aaron dancing since I would have probably looked exactly the same way!! It looks like a lot of fun!
We loved it!!
Liam waned to "watch Nella Ance"
so much so that we've watched 5 tiems. I think that I get the bigger kick out of watching Liam's reaction to Ella.
So we vote for Nella! as Liam says!
But we have to say Aaron was a close 2nd.
Love you guys.
Thanks for a good laugh.
I can't begin to tell you how much I revel in reading all of your blogs. Thanks for sharing your journey with so many, including me.
I think there are three first-place votes in my professional dancer opinion:
Best male improvization: Aaron
Best female "turn it on:" Jen
Best free-style: Ella.
What a blessing you all are.
Robin Howard
that was too funny i laughed so hard i cried Matt had to come over to see what i was watching. Ella and Jen were cute. Aaron you made our day hilarious we want to see that dance when you get home, maybe you can teach us! Love u guys! Love Matt & Michelle Whan
Well, Aaron is by far the funniest (laughed till I cried), Ella is positively the cutest, but my vote for 1st place goes to Jen - I'm really impressed!!! :) Thank you so much for sharing. It has been the highlight of my day. Love to you all! Jamie Inman
i have to say i think jen's is the most talents...ella's is cute but jen is actually good. aaron is...well...white. :-)
Where can I get some Sumalak?! :)
Post a Comment