Oct 23, 2008

hospital distributions


You may remember the Tajik Winter Appeal that we sent out early this year - and also our amazement at the response. The funds which came in quickly we were able to use last winter. As funds continued to come in through the spring and summer we made plans to do winter preparedness work for the next winter that matched the intent of the original Winter Relief Appeal.

We used most of this money to import things for distributions at hospitals, including generators, radiators, water heaters, etc. The regional government was very happy with all of this and arranged for some fanfare as we conducted our official distributions this week. Over Wednesday and Thursday I went to four different hospitals, and at each place there were TV cameras and government officials waiting.

Here I am with the staff at one of the hospitals...


The official handover of the key for one of the generators...

At each hospital a speech was expected from me. For the first three I spoke with translation, but the translator couldn't make it for the last one. Since I had already heard my speech translated three times at that point, I went for it on my own in Tajik, which was frightening in front of such a crowd, but also rewarding to see folks in amazement that a foreigner had tried to learn their language.

7 comments:

m+m said...

Well done, Aaron!!! We both know the scary feeling of speaking in a foreign language to a crowd, so we are very proud of you!!! M&M

Bristol Grandma said...

Wow this is amazing. I wonder what the history of their medical hats is. Almost look like chef hats. You may become more popular in Khujand that when the Pres comes to visit :)

Unknown said...

That is awesome, Aaron. Seriously, it is really impressive that you gave a speech in front of a crowd. Way to go.

I'm so glad to hear that you are able to have such a tangible impact on the people in your country. Very good news.

We are thinking of you here in Chicago and hope all is well.

XOXO,
Leah for the Paynes

Tanya said...

This is very cool. Learning a language is intimidating, but so appreciated. Our neighbors are from Columbia; their eyes just light up whenever I say anything in Spanish. And I'm far from fluent!! I'm thrilled with what you guys are doing there. Thank you!!

Beth said...

way to go, aaron! i'm so proud of you!
now, i expect to hear that speech when you get home in 28 days....
;)

Laurie said...

Awesome! I'd love to see that newscast? Is there anyway we can watch it? Keep up the good work! See y'all soon! =)

Tasvezer said...

Wow! So you made it to the national TV :-) Cool!
love!