Friday was Ella's 5th Birthday. We woke up to hearing her singing, "Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me..." We then gave her a special birthday outfit.
We bought a cake for her to share with her classmates, too. Apparently there is a tradition here, much like our "spankys" we give on birthdays, Tajik kids pull on the earlobes of their peers on their birthdays. Ella has been talking about and looking forward to her turn to have her ears pulled, too. As soon as she stepped in the door after school, I asked her how her day was and if she got her ears pulled. She replied, "Yes, but it really hurt. I didn't cry though, I just smiled and was glad when it was over." Poor girl, that was a bit anti-climactic I think!
The next day we invited all the ex-pat kids we know in our city to join Ella for a little party. We had 3 Aussies, 2 Americans, and 3 Swiss-American kids in addition to Ella. We played games like "Pass the parcel"...
"Blind Man's Bluff"...
"Pin the Head on the Butterfly"...
She was a bit off the target...
"Upset the Fruit Basket" and more...
Ate pizza...
See my cake?
"I'm 5!"
And all her friends...
The night of her birthday, I was staying up late working on her cake when suddenly, for the first time in 5 years of my making cakes for our kids, Aaron became quite interested in this venture, so together we made this cake, staying up until 1 am to finish. A labor of love for our daughter, but also some quality time spent together! :)
Stay tuned for some special birthday and Christmas portraits!
5 comments:
What a great job you did Jen with every thing and Aaron I must say you did a great job as "design engineer" of the cake. Ella looked adorable in her new outfit. Hard to believe she could be five years old already. Looking forward to help celebrate future bdays!
wow! what a cake! can't believe she's 5. loved the story of her getting her ears pulled. oh my.
Great job with the cake, Jen AND Aaron!!! Looks like a great time was had bye all! :)
Oh, Jen, you did an amazing job with everything for her birthday! :) How creative to have the 'butterfly' theme! You did such a great job on the cake! Did you come up with the idea, or get hints on how to design it somewhere? I'm just wondering, because I'd love to learn from you about all the neat cakes you've made and will make in the future! :) Love you! <3
Great combined effort on the cake. How many cakes was that Jen?? Looked like enough to be 4 of the big chocolate ones you made while we visited. It was beautiful.
Post a Comment