May 16, 2009

mount khujand

A few friends and I set out early this morning to conquer Mt. Khujand. We first tried about a month ago, and came up short. This time we chose our path more wisely and got an earlier start. Khujand city is at 300m, but we cheated and drove up to about 1000m, and the top was just over 1600m. A good training hike in preparation for the big one in July.

The view from the south...

The view from the north (where we began our ascent this time)...

A view in the morning light from about 1/2 way up...

Me at the top...

This is for Brent...
[notice Khujand, the Sir Daryo River, and the edge of Lake Kayrakum in the background]


5 comments:

old blog said...

Aaron looks skinny and a bit famished! Did you load up the pack with 50lbs??? Well done!

old blog said...

You huffed and you puffed, and you made it to the top! You're looking skinny, perhaps malnourished? Glad to see the pics!!

Bristol Grandma said...

Hey, you are really looking like you are getting in shape for the big trip. Great job Aaron!!

aje said...

Not quite 50, but I had about 32 lbs in the pack... I volunteered to carry the water of my comrades as a part of my training regimen. Also, It's not that I've become skinny, just less obese. Still a ways to go... aje

Nathan Miller said...

Hey, I finally got a chance to read the blog. i'm glad you finally got to make it to the top (no out of shape "gigant" holding you back this time)! Looks like you had a good day, and the pictures are great.
Good job Aaron!