Nov 2, 2008

so maybe there's something to this window idea after all...

Unbelievable.

We got up this morning and Ella was complaining about something. It took us awhile, but eventually we figured out it was her right wrist. She wouldn't move it and wouldn't let us touch it. Although we knew where the problem was, we still couldn't figure out why it hurt. Then Jen remembered that the day before, while Ella was climbing through the window from one room to the other, she had fallen and held her right hand for a few moments after the fall. But it didn't seem like a big deal at the time because she only cried for a few seconds before getting up and brushing off her hands (like we've taught her to do when she falls down) and moving on. Not a peep about her hand for the rest of the day.

Then, for whatever reason, the injury that didn't slow her down yesterday was excruciating today. After not knowing what to do for most of the day, we finally took her to the hospital in the evening. There she got her first x-ray...



...which thankfully came back negative. They diagnosed her with a sprain and put a cast on it. We are supposed to keep it on for 2 weeks. At times she was a very sad patient and I learned today that in Tajik they also say that a sick child is like a sad little puppy dog...


Needless to say after our previous post, although we told out local friends that she fell, we won't be telling them where she fell.

We will finish off this a picture and video of Ella after we got home from the hospital to show you that she's not always taking it like a sad puppy...





Anyway, maybe there's something to this window idea after all...

Maybe this was just a warning.

;-)

[I forgot to mention the hospital bills. 2 x-rays, a cast, and 3 doctor consultations = $9.50. The x-rays were less than $2 apiece. I didn't tell the doc what we pay back home. I don't think I'll bother turning it in to insurance]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ellie, Mamak is sooooo sorry! When I heard you crying this morning my heart was so sad!!! I'm sure it will be all better by the time you get to Mamak's house.

Jen said...

oh, poor little girl. i am sure she'll be back to normal in no time. and what a talker! wow.

jen

Bristol Grandma said...

Boy, this is something to write in her baby book. I think I could have put a cast on that looks that good! But maybe not as effective. Get better soon Ella.

Tanya said...

My Ellie broke her leg at this same age. Same thing: she had a seemingly very minor fall and didn't really complain too much. By the next morning, she still wouldn't put weight on it so we took her to the ER. The doc said it's pretty common to find broken bones in kids this age. My Ellie had to wear her cast for 6 weeks, though. And I won't bother telling you what we had to pay. :p

Unknown said...

Liam says...
"Mama Nella ouey han aman" Mama thinks he said Mama Ella ouchy hand and Amen"
So sweet. I can't wait for them to play together in a few weeks!
love you guys.