There is a section of the big Sunday bazaar here where hundreds of people squat along the banks of a dried up canal selling whatever junk they have on sheets on the ground. Most of it is nothing to look at - broken things, old Russian books, spare parts for cars that haven't been made for decades, and the like.
But as we were walking along the canal a couple of weeks ago, one thing caught my eye. It looked like a pie iron (like what you use at a campfire), but it had the Olympic rings on the outside and the inside had several molds for a little bear figure. The woman selling it said it was for cookies. I had no idea what it was, but at a price of $2 I couldn't pass it up, much to Jen's bewilderment ("what do we need that thing for!?!"). Here are a couple of photos of my treasure...
I took it home and got on the internet to try to figure out what I had, and I found that the symbol on the iron was the official symbol of the 1980 Moscow Summer Olympics...
Jen was 2 days old when the Opening Ceremonies took place (July 19, 1980), but probably didn't get to watch them since the USA was leading a 50 nation boycott of the games in protest of the USSR's invasion of Afghanistan the year before.Then, I found that the official mascot of the 1980 Moscow Olympics was this little bear named "Misha", which explained the bear-shaped cavities inside the iron...

Anyway, Jen said it wouldn't work for cookies, so we tried cake, but that didn't work either. Then we tried waffle batter, which proved to be a winner...
Here is a video of Ella's first encounter with the little Mishas (you can also see Jen's cruelty at about 0:59)...
She really studied the things...
She was hesitant at first, but after we put syrup on them, she lost all inhibition...
She just ripped his head on and munched right in...
I went back to the bazaar the next week with my new knowledge and found more 1980 Moscow Olympics/Misha stuff everywhere. There were vases, wall hangings, spoons, and all sorts of other junk. I bought the little Misha Olympic pin and commemorative Rubel...
Then I found a collection of Misha pins showing the little guy participating in all the events. I usually try to refrain from buying other people's junk that I don't need, but the guy was practically giving it away...
Enjoy the upcoming Olympics, everybody. We will be enjoying our Olympic waffles.
7 comments:
Poor Ella, she is so confused. The syrup was the magic. Cute little bears. Someday she will go to the Antique Roadshow and show off her dad's collection. Hopefully it will be worth more than $2.
Ya that's my question... are these things worth anything? Seems like they could be but I suppose that would depend on how many millions of them there are. I want to see the video with Jen's cruelty but it doesn't work - maybe its my computer.
I hope you're bringing this thing home for Christmas! :) I remember Misha fondly but I have never had bear shaped waffles! My guess is that our boys wouldn't have any inhibitions munching on them! :) M.
That is so cool. What a fun find!
Hey!
I'm glad you finally got the thing to work:) Great movie of Ella--boy it makes me miss her.
Naomi
Wow! Great buys Aaron. Sorry I missed them.
Ella is getting so big. It was such fun to watch her with the waffle bear.
Nancy
Post a Comment