Mar 24, 2008

goat pulling

Buzkashi (booz-ka-shee): In Persian, "buz" means "goat". "Kashi" comes from the verb "to pull". Ergo, goat-pulling. Its basically a Central Asian rodeo.

When I heard that there would be a buzkashi match the afternoon of Navrus, I cleared my schedule. I had heard of this ancient, brutal game before, but had a hard time imagining it: nearly a hundred men on horseback, two goals separated by a field so big it is difficult to see across, and one headless goat. Imagine the ravenous hordes of Ghengiz Khan playing polo, only they couldn't find a ball so they used an animal carcass.

It begins with a battle to pick the goat off the ground. It is every man for himself as riders struggle for position to hoist the carcass without dismounting. No easy feat. All the while they strike each other with their whips and even use their own horse's heads as clubs against their opponents. It takes some bravery to reach down for the goat.
Here a rider breaks away from the pack with the goat tucked under his leg.
Sometimes spectators got a little too close...
The goal is to pick up the carcass and drop it in a designated area at the other end of the field.
They didn't do all this for free, though. There were prizes: live calves, goats, televisions, etc. This guy rode off with a carpet.
Most folks watched from the cliffs/hills at the other end of the field. I watched from the top of this lorry.
If you've not had your buzkashi fill yet, here is a video (most of the action is at the end) and a slide show with some more pictures from the afternoon.

BubbleShare: Share photos - Play some Online Games.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

And to think that we think football is exciting!!
I must say that is very brutal; animal-lovers everywhere are cringing... ):

Unknown said...

It reminds us of a typical night at youth group!!!

Indiana Family of Four said...

I think I saw this "game" advertised somewhere down here in Bradenton, FL....oh wait, but it was without the HEADLESS GOAT! :)