
Jen and I lived for two years in Uzbekistan, largely unaware of tribal differences among Uzbeks, because the tribes were generally separated by geography.
But here in Tajikistan, the tribes are far more mixed, making their differences more pronounced.
We are living with a local family here in Dushanbe who we always knew were Uzbek, but now we have been learning that they are from a particularly interesting tribe of Uzbeks, the Urguts.
We have observed how their dialect, traditions, and even worldview is different from other tribes.
I am told they are the wealthiest ethnic group within Tajikistan, and they certainly seem the most preoccupied with status.
Two of the most obvious distinctions is how they throw a party, and the dowry system.
A week before we moved in with our family (in September), our family had just acquired a wife for their eldest son.
A week ago, Jen was invited to the “new bride party”, where the new Urguti brides from the neighborhood who have completed their first 40 days in their new homes all come together to show off their best dresses from their dowry.
She went not knowing what to expect, and was blown away (and a little sickened) by the pomp.
I mentioned that they may be the wealthiest ethnic group in Tajikistan, but that is a bit like saying you are the tallest midget. How ironic that these families have to go into great debt to show off how wealthy they are!
Let the fashion show begin…
First they lined up and bowed for their guests with their faces covered while the local holy woman belted out a song…

Then they are told to “open up” and show their faces…

Then there is a costume change…

Then another (Jen counted at least 6 changes)…

All the while they take turns going in and bowing in the rooms where the guests are waiting.


Ella had a good time too…

1 comment:
So interesting... ok, I'm glad I don't have to go to all that trouble to get married! (but then again maybe we do in our own kind of way!) Anyway, thanks for sharing; I'm enjoying the opportunity to become more "cultured"...
Love ya!
Post a Comment